Eating at the staircase
The place where I work in where the cleaning is being outsourced to an external cleaning company has this cleaning auntie that goes about her work everyday quietly, apparently she has worked here for quite some time as some of my colleagues seem to know her. But she rarely chat or mingle with the other people while she is cleaning in the office.
Anyway, today as I was walking down the stairs to go to other departments to run some errands, I saw someone sitting at the staircase a few levels down. I edged myself forward and looked downwards. It was that cleaning auntie. There she was sitting down at the staircase steps, a pack of rice unfolded in her palm.
I don't know somehow that scene felt so heart-wrenching. If I was some big shot I will invite her into the office pantry to eat. Then I thought why not eat at the many eating places at the mall. I think she probably felt the prices was too high. I agreed too, the prices at the foodcourt/fast food centres cost almost a hour of my work. And I think she probably earn a even lower pay.
Recently the papers reported that average income of low-wage Singaporeans has actually increased over the past two years.(here and here) A few doubts has actually been raised regarding this report.(here and here)
Yes, there are various schemes available like workfare, comcare. But then 'welfare' is the dirty work in Singapore, perharps more can be done but is not being carried out?
I think last week, there was a special feature in The Strait Times on people living in the one-room flats. Conditions was not too good, people were spotted glue sniffing at stairscase, loansharks splashing paint on doors. It is not a very conducive environment for young children living. In the reports, parents there try to keep their children indoor whenever possible. Im sure all parents want their children to live in a good and nuturing environment, but somethings can't be helped. Thus all the more should be done to educate and guide the children so that in the future they will be able to break the poverty trap.
Meanwhile Singapore's Gini coefficient(a measure of inequality of income or wealth) is currently at 0.462(lower is better=more equality) which is defintely not what a first world country should have. And with the increasing proportion of foreigners in the Singaporean society, this will probably only create more social tension.(here and here)
les
Anyway, today as I was walking down the stairs to go to other departments to run some errands, I saw someone sitting at the staircase a few levels down. I edged myself forward and looked downwards. It was that cleaning auntie. There she was sitting down at the staircase steps, a pack of rice unfolded in her palm.
I don't know somehow that scene felt so heart-wrenching. If I was some big shot I will invite her into the office pantry to eat. Then I thought why not eat at the many eating places at the mall. I think she probably felt the prices was too high. I agreed too, the prices at the foodcourt/fast food centres cost almost a hour of my work. And I think she probably earn a even lower pay.
Recently the papers reported that average income of low-wage Singaporeans has actually increased over the past two years.(here and here) A few doubts has actually been raised regarding this report.(here and here)
Yes, there are various schemes available like workfare, comcare. But then 'welfare' is the dirty work in Singapore, perharps more can be done but is not being carried out?
I think last week, there was a special feature in The Strait Times on people living in the one-room flats. Conditions was not too good, people were spotted glue sniffing at stairscase, loansharks splashing paint on doors. It is not a very conducive environment for young children living. In the reports, parents there try to keep their children indoor whenever possible. Im sure all parents want their children to live in a good and nuturing environment, but somethings can't be helped. Thus all the more should be done to educate and guide the children so that in the future they will be able to break the poverty trap.
Meanwhile Singapore's Gini coefficient(a measure of inequality of income or wealth) is currently at 0.462(lower is better=more equality) which is defintely not what a first world country should have. And with the increasing proportion of foreigners in the Singaporean society, this will probably only create more social tension.(here and here)
les

