Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hillsborough

I was reading some articles on soccernet, and saw one word that kept appearing, Hillsborough. There was an analysis article named 'Hillsborough - A fateful day of change'. I didnt know what hillsbourough was, I didnt even know it was actually a place in England. That was until I clicked on the article where Rafa Benitez was interviewed about his views on the incident. And later I went and did some reading in wikipedia.

To quote from wikipedia,


'The Hillsborough Disaster was a deadly human crush that occurred on 15 April 1989, at Hillsborough, a football stadium home to Sheffield Wednesday in Sheffield, England, resulting in the deaths of 96 people (all fans of Liverpool Football Club).'

Rafa Benitez and liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish were both interviewed on soccernet (here and here) and asked for views on their incident. Both urged people not to forget the Hillsbourough incident and the many who died and their family members.

Below is a picture of a memorial at Hillsbourough, commemorating the tragedy.


In memory of the 96 men, women and children who tragically died and the countless people whose lives were changed forever.

FA Cup Semi-Final Liverpool v Nottingham Forest.

15th April 1989.

"You will never walk alone"


A minute of silence was observed at the recent liverpool vs blackburn game.

And I thought somehow we rarely see this kind of memorials and commemorating of people who sacrificed or past events in Singapore. Things seem to been easily forgottened and the general public seems not to care less.

les