The daily commute
Whenever Im on this terribly long, droning journey to school, I always go into this mode which I call the "thinking/reflecting" mode. Though sometimes I slip easily into the "doze off" mode especially when it has been a long day or I got hypnotized by all the white noise around me and get into the trance mode.
You can think about a lot of things during the 1.5-2 hours journey, think about school, think about what's for dinner later, think about the weekends, think about the far future, think when will i ever graduate.
I thought of this particular friend of mine, yuankang today. I just attended a farewell cum gathering dinner with my ns batch boys at the resturant, charcoal, at The Treasury two days back.
I recalled the things we all did together in camp. Day after day of routine work, getting shit poured all over us, got ourselves
"stayed in", all the crazy working hours and reporting time. You can say he's our kai xin guo, pulling all sorts of stunts that never fail to amuse us. And now in one week's time, he is going to the US to further his studies. Seeing someone who have went through such shitty times with you going off to some foreign land for the next few years is kinda sad. I wish him good luck nonetheless and hopefully he will choose to come back after his study. Singapore needs talents like him to improve herself.
Speaking of bitter sweet emotions, on my way home, I watched the TV mobile telecast of the Olympic 50m freestyle Men swimming heats. When the first swimmer touched the wall, the camera zoomed in. What I saw was this guy in the water, his fist thumping in the air, he seems to be screaming or shouting something. Joy was clearly visible on his face. It must certainly be a bitter sweet moment for him. After training for the past 4 years since the last games, he finally has some success to show for his efforts.
Will it be a bitter sweet moment for me too 4 years down the road?
les
You can think about a lot of things during the 1.5-2 hours journey, think about school, think about what's for dinner later, think about the weekends, think about the far future, think when will i ever graduate.
I thought of this particular friend of mine, yuankang today. I just attended a farewell cum gathering dinner with my ns batch boys at the resturant, charcoal, at The Treasury two days back.
I recalled the things we all did together in camp. Day after day of routine work, getting shit poured all over us, got ourselves
"stayed in", all the crazy working hours and reporting time. You can say he's our kai xin guo, pulling all sorts of stunts that never fail to amuse us. And now in one week's time, he is going to the US to further his studies. Seeing someone who have went through such shitty times with you going off to some foreign land for the next few years is kinda sad. I wish him good luck nonetheless and hopefully he will choose to come back after his study. Singapore needs talents like him to improve herself.
Speaking of bitter sweet emotions, on my way home, I watched the TV mobile telecast of the Olympic 50m freestyle Men swimming heats. When the first swimmer touched the wall, the camera zoomed in. What I saw was this guy in the water, his fist thumping in the air, he seems to be screaming or shouting something. Joy was clearly visible on his face. It must certainly be a bitter sweet moment for him. After training for the past 4 years since the last games, he finally has some success to show for his efforts.
Will it be a bitter sweet moment for me too 4 years down the road?
les

