Sunday, December 16, 2007

increasing gap between the rich and the poor

There has always been statistics showing the ever increasing gap between the rich and the poor. And how the unskilled Singaporeans workers' salary is being undercut by the influx of foreign workers and the outsourcing to/opening up of China and India.

I finally got to experience the extent of the gap first hand today.

One of cousin was recounting his holidays to us where he went to Egypt with his wife and two children. Photographs taken during their holidays were being passed around. While I was looking at the beautiful pictures of the pyramids, his wife were talking about the expenses of the trip.

It costs a whopping $2700 per person for this particular holiday.

That's just too shocking to me. My family actually just managed to get by on my father sole salary of $2500(Before CPF). And I have 5 family members, where my two younger sisters are still in school going age and still many years to go before they enter the workforce. And me, still serving my NS and concerned with my future university school fees.

Of course, I am happy for him for able to provide his family an above average lifestyle and the chance to bring them to exotic Egypt. And the fact that he is earning so much is by no means an easy feat, he probably worked hard both when he was a student and he entered the workforce.

But I am just too appalled about how different our lifestyle is and the actual salary gap between his family and mine.

I actually got to see a "real life example" of the gap between the "rich" and the "poor" today.

les

Shit man, how I wished I was the one going to Egypt.