How will you feel when you reach your 80th birthday?
I just came back after steamboat at goldem mile with my relatives. It was a special occasion, it was my maternal mother's (外婆) 78th birthday. As we sang the birthday song, and clapping our hands, I noticed she was somewat emotionless, trying to put on a wry smile.
I dont know, maybe after 78 years living on this world, birthday doesnt seem so special anymore. I wondered what went through her mind that particular moment.
Is she feeling happy? Seeing all her children and grandchildren celebrating her birthday with her . . . all her children are doing fine, all had their own family, decent jobs, leading decent life and some of her grandchildren are even reaching adulthood and entering the workforce in a few years' time.
Or is her entire life flashing across her mind? Things she regretted doing over the years? Or happy/funny moments that popped and made her smile? Perharps recalling the tough moments she had, especially in her early years when life wasn't that good?
For me, I think I rather have a quiet affair for my 80th birthday . . . maybe a quiet moment after all the noisy celebrations, alone, reminiscing about the past . . . with my spouse or a few other close friends . . .
les
I dont know, maybe after 78 years living on this world, birthday doesnt seem so special anymore. I wondered what went through her mind that particular moment.
Is she feeling happy? Seeing all her children and grandchildren celebrating her birthday with her . . . all her children are doing fine, all had their own family, decent jobs, leading decent life and some of her grandchildren are even reaching adulthood and entering the workforce in a few years' time.
Or is her entire life flashing across her mind? Things she regretted doing over the years? Or happy/funny moments that popped and made her smile? Perharps recalling the tough moments she had, especially in her early years when life wasn't that good?
For me, I think I rather have a quiet affair for my 80th birthday . . . maybe a quiet moment after all the noisy celebrations, alone, reminiscing about the past . . . with my spouse or a few other close friends . . .
les

