Saturday, November 05, 2011

Rapid Developments

We all know that the physical landscape of Singapore changes rapidly. Buildings come and go, green patches of land are replaced with tall skyscrapers. Most of the time, when I see such rapid changes, I usually just go, 'oh, this place changed,' I will take note of the changes mentally and just move on, due to the fact that I did not have much attachment or associated memories with the place.

This time round, though, it was a place close to heart. I had spent every Saturday of my secondary school life there. I had passed by the area quite a few times in recent years and had already noticed the tell tale signs. Nearby plots of lands were fenced up and heavy constructions were going on. Tall condominiums were emerging from the ground. That familiar place had finally become a barren concrete land. The old terrace houses were gone, everything. In place were signs claiming that another new condominium will be built. The area is now much more built up, somehow making me claustrophobic. The old landscape was more liberating, there were no tall skyscrapers blocking off the sky, but only low buildings of 2 or 4 levels then. The once rustic old school charm had disappeared. In place were tall, modern, greyish high rise buildings.

Many places in Singapore have changed over the years. The iconic red brick National library disappeared. The Kallang stadium went down. The seletar airbase area changed. Bidadari cemetery is gone and soon probably will bukit brown cemetery.

Somebody suggested that bukit brown could be make into a digital virtual place and placed online for future generations to 'visit'.

Sounds like a sick joke to me.

les